The Engineering Machine Shop (EMS) is a modern version of the classic machine shop that includes computer-literate staff, machines, and methods alongside traditional manufacturing equipment and procedures. EMS provides concept development, project design, and protyping services for University of Iowa students, faculty, researchers, and staff. The EMS staff strengths are computer-aided design and manufacturing skills that support the college teaching and research missions, as well as providing services for administrative and research users across campus. As students get the necessary training, they have access to the tools and equipment in the facility.
EMS services include:
Parts design, prototyping, and manufacturing. Come to EMS if you need a:
- Specialty part that you cannot purchase
- Prototype to help develop an idea
- Custom part manufactured
- Materials consultation for your part design
Original equipment design
- As an Engineering Technology Center (ETC) department, the EMS works intimately with the electronics (EES) and computer (ECS) departments on their designs.
- Work with researchers from across the University.
- Reasonable rates
- Discuss ideas and options
Materials and parts ordering
- MFK billing
- U-bill billing
To submit a project to be completed, please fill out the form below. Acceptable file types are: obj, stl, thing, ipt, prt.