Public network ports are in the 2nd floor entry area, the Engineering Student Commons, all conference and seminar rooms, all of 2217 and 2229, the first, second, and third rows of the 3505 classroom, and the 3123 Business Visitor's Center in the Seamans Center. To find an active port look for a bright green dot, which is placed next to activated ports. Public ports in the 2nd floor entry area, the Engineering Student Commons, and the 3123 Business Visitor's Center have cables in them. (If the cable is missing, you can purchase a cable in the Engineering Electronics Shop, 2018 SC, for less than $3.00.) Classrooms, conference and seminar rooms have no cable, only an activated port.

What You Need

To use these ports you need a computer, a network card, (a cable), and an Engineering computer account or a Hawk ID.

All computer and network users are required to adhere to the University acceptable use policy (AUP).

Setting up Your Computer


Set up your computer to use DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol). See the instructions for your Windows computer on the DHCP page.  Begin at Start | Control Panel | Network Connections.

If you have a Linux laptop, contact the Linux vendor for information on setting up DHCP.

If you have a Macintosh laptop, from the Apple menu, go to Control Panel | TCP/IP | DHCP then click OK.


authorization tab
From Start | Control Panel | Network Connections, right click on Local Area Connection and select Properties. Verify that "Show icon in notification area when connected" is checked. Under the Authentication tab, change the EAP type to Protected EAP (PEAP) and uncheck Authenticate as computer when computer information is available. (See illustration at right.)

Once you have selected the EAP type, click the Properties tab.

Under Trusted Root Certification Authorities, choose Thawte Server CA. Click on the Configure button. Uncheck the box that says Automatically use my Windows logon name and password (and domain if any). (See illustration below.) Click OK. Then click OK twice more to exit out of the Properties screens.

EAP properties

Linux and Macintosh

To set up a Linux or Macintosh computer to use the public ports, please come to the Engineering Help Desk, 1253 SC, 319-335-5055.

Find a Port and Connect

Once you have configured your computer, find a public port marked with a bright green dot, plug in your computer, and turn it on.

LAN notification
A notification will appear in the bottom right corner of your screen saying “Click her to select a certificate or other credentials for connection to the network. Click within the notification window. Enter your Engineering User name and Password. You do not need to fill in the Logon domain. If you want to use your Hawk ID, then enter IOWA\HawkID in the User name field and then enter your Hawk ID Password. You do not need to fill in the Logon domain. A different notification appears in the bottom right corner of your screen saying “Click here to process your logon information for the network”. Click within the notification window. A pop-up (shown below) asks you to Validate Server Certificate; click OK.
validate certificate

When you see the message Local Area Connection is now connected", you are connected to the Engineering local network.

Being Blocked?

If we detect that your computer using the wireless or public ports is infected, your computer will be placed on a block list. If you are on the block list, the next time you try to use the wireless or public port network in SC, you will be blocked and unable to complete the connection.

If you are blocked, bring your computer to the Engineering Help Desk, 1253 SC, between 8am-9pm Monday-Thursday or 8am-5pm Friday. A consultant will scan and disinfect your computer and will report that cleaning to CSS staff, who will remove you from the block list and so allow your connections.

Users who repeatedly get infected may be charged an escalating fee for disinfecting the computer.


To request that a port in a public area be made into a public port, call the ECS Main Office in 1256 SC, 319-335-5751.

Problems, Help

If you use the public ports and have trouble connecting, please see the consultant at the Engineering Help Desk in 1253 SC, 319-335-5055.