Account  |  Log in  |   Passwords  |  Email  |  Printing  |  Files and Quotas  |  Access  |  Security, Responsibilities  |  Help


The university email, known as Hawkmail, is provided by ITS. Request an email account using MyUI (students) or Self Service (faculty and staff).

When a student or employee enters the University, a University-defined alias, usually in the form of, is also created. Using MyUI (students) or Self Service (faculty and staff), you can set mail delivery so that mail sent to is delivered to the email account of your choice.


Printers for students are available in the Elder, Hering, and 2301 labs, as well as the  Engineering Help Desk, 1253 SC. Each department has at least one laser printer for departmental use and some departments also have color printers. Check in the departmental office to find out what printers are available.

Print quotas for students

Every student account is allocated print quota from state revenues. For information on cost of pages printed, Web print, and more, read  about printing.

Checking your print quota

Students see the Papercut balance window in the top right of the screen, whether on Linux or Windows. Click Details... in the Papercut balance window for information about the number of print jobs, pages, and the environmental impact your printing had. You can minimize the Papercut window.

How to print

From Linux and Windows programs, go to File | Print. When in the student computer labs, the print command routes your file to the nearest printer.

File Locations & Quotas

Engineering accounts have a disk quota based on your account type (student, guest, staff/faculty). Students also have a print quota.

Files that you create and save in your home directory (the H:\ drive for Windows users) can be seen whether you login on a Linux or a Windows computer; however, documents created with platform-specific software that is installed and available only on one computer platform, can be opened and used only when logged onto the appropriate type of computer.

In addition to viewing and editing files in your home directory, you may have access to files that are used and shared by others in your department or in your work group. Because the directories and associated files are shared by more than one person, we call these “shares.” You may have access to more than one share. Having access to a share requires these things:

  • The individual in charge of granting access to the share must tell ECS whose access to add or remove.
  • ECS has to create or remove that access.
  • You must map a drive to get access to a share.

Windows Notes

By default Microsoft Office products (Word, Excel, etc.) want to save files to Documents. ECS has mapped Documents to H:\Documents.

To accomplish operating system maintenance, Windows computers in the student labs are set with Automatic Update turned on. When there is a patch to install, the lab computers will be patched overnight. During patch time, all the Windows computers in the labs will be unavailable for the few minutes it takes to install the patch(es) and reboot.

Wireless, Public, Remote Access

EduRoam in the College of Engineering covers the entire Seamans Center.

Public wired ports in Seamans Center are  found in some public spaces, classrooms, and all conference and seminar rooms. See the consultant at the Engineering Help Desk, 1253 SC, for help setting up your computer to work on the wired networks.

Faculty and staff can use Remote Desktop to get to your home directory, but you must have an ISP and a modem and communications software on your computer. You may also need to download client software on your home computer. You must use a secure connection to get to the Engineering network; the Junos Pulse VPN creates a secure connection. Once you have the appropriate software installed, you must configure the software so that it knows what system to connect to. To log in remotely to the Engineering network, configure the remote host name to:

Students can use the VDI to connect remotely to a virtual Windows lab computer.

Security, Responsibilities

Learn about the College's secure computing environment and what you can do to keep your account secure.

Having an Engineering computer account means that you agree to abide by the Acceptable Use Policy that details ECS responsibilities, account owner responsibilities, usage guidelines, and suggested good practices.

Students using the ECS computer labs should know the Computer Lab Use Guidelines.


ECS’s mission is to provide a secure and productive computer environment that supports the ability of the College of Engineering to achieve its educational mission.

To answer your computing questions, Engineering Help Desk consultants are available in 1253 SC, 319-335-5055. Students should review the Survival Tips for student-related information about computing in the college.