Because students, faculty, and staff in the College of Engineering depend on having the computers and associated networks available, the College of Engineering has implemented the following policies. Stability, reliability, and security of information technology in the College guide the implementation of these policies.

Direct questions about the details of these policies and how they are implemented to the Engineering Computer Services (ECS) office 1256 SC, 319-335-5751.

Acceptable Use

All computer and network users are required to adhere to the University's Information Technology Resources Acceptable Use Policy (AUP) and the Engineering AUP.

Computer Ownership

University-owned computers can be used long term in assigned spaces (offices). Personally owned portables may be connected to the College of Engineering network temporarily and used in unassigned spaces such as labs, classrooms, and public areas.

If you locally administer your computer on the Engineering College Network, you are responsible for the physical as well as the electronic security of that equipment. You must read and sign the Checklist for Locally Administered Computers annually.

Network Connections

The college provides two types of computer ports: normal and open. A normal port, usually in a faculty or staff office, computer lab, or classroom, is registered to one Ethernet address (the address of the network card in the computer). If the Ethernet address changes, you must notify ECS. A public port allows any Ethernet address but requires that you authenticate to use network resources.

You must register the computer’s Ethernet address and its DNS name with ECS. When a network connection has been requested and approved for a named computer in a specific location, ECS will:

  • Assign a circuit number. The computer’s network port will plug into the wall plate with that circuit number.
  • Assign an IP address to the registered computer. If the computer is changed, the person responsible for that network line must report the change to ECS.
  • Record the name of the faculty or staff person responsible for the computer and the network port. The named person will be contacted regarding all issues involving this computer. These issues include but are not limited to inappropriate use of the computer or the line, security problems, service problems, and billing.
  • Enter the computer name and IP address into the Domain Name Service (DNS).
  • Assign, configure, and activate a network port.
  • Configure any required DHCP service.


All computers connected to the Engineering College network may be scanned for security problems, either by ECS or, more commonly, by ITS. When the security of a computer has been breached, ECS determines if the computer has been compromised. A computer that has been compromised or used for inappropriate purposes (see the AUP) will be disconnected from the network without prior notice. To reconnect a computer to the network, ECS must be assured that all security problems are fixed. ECS may verify that the computer has been properly rebuilt by scanning it.


Room to Room

All room-to-room cabling of any type must be installed by authorized personnel. If room-to-room cabling is required or if you have any questions, contact the Engineering Electronics Shop, 2018 SC, 319-335-5760. They can install cable in a fire-safe manner.

Within the Room

No interior room cables may be installed above a false ceiling because of fire safety issues. Cables that do not penetrate the ceiling can be installed by the user.


All domain name requests must be approved by ECS.